Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Vibram fivefingers KSO


These are the Vibram fivefinger KSO's I bought yesterday at MEC. Weird looking I know! They best description I've heard of them is foot gloves. They are made for barefoot running which some studies are showing is more natural and does less damage to your body. I mean, after all we've been running barefoot for a lot longer than running shoes have existed. The basic idea is that when you run with sneakers you go heel-toe and if you run naturally (or barefoot) you go toe-heel which allows your body to better absorb the shock of hitting the ground.

Growing up with a very outdoorsy, Aussie dad we only wore shoes and socks to go out to places - never in the yard or around the house. By the end of the summer our feet were so tough and leathery I could walk over broken glass without getting a cut. I still live in flip-flops and bare feet all summer. Because of this the idea of barefoot running struck a cord with me. After reading a lot of reviews (and needing to replace my current runners) I splurged and bought them.

It's a very cool feeling running with these shoes. I can feel the ground but not uncomfortably so. It does almost feel like you're barefoot. And I was definitely inclined to place my feet differently (which is why I'm aching all up my ankles and calves. They are a little weird to look at, and feel like they stand out - but over all I'm thrilled to have them for jogging. Running with them filled me with a childish sort of glee that reminded me of summers long ago. :)


Yay for spring! Time to go to Kaeda's first swim lesson!

1 comment: