Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Green Line Diaper Review

I've been wanting to do a review on my Green Line cloth diapers for some time now. I love sharing a product that I've been really happy with - especially one that comes from a small, local, mom-made business! So, since my latest order arrived today, I took some pictures and set myself up to do a review! 

Some Background:
Let's start off by saying I only really started cloth diapering when Kaeda was about two and a half because pull-ups and diapers were frustratingly expensive and wasteful! I found some gDiapers and tried them out and loved how cloth looked on my girl! I went on to try Kushies Ultra AIO diapers... which... I hated. They were bulky, smelly, and didn't dry well. So, I went back to gDiapers and made my own cloth inserts. They were okay - but the velcro was weak, the pads still took ages to dry and they just started to look worn and grubby. 

Before Bowynn was born I started looking into more diapering options. I'm not even sure how I stumbled across Green Line, but at the time they only had a couple hundred fans on Facebook. I was immediately drawn in by the fabric choices! I bought two covers and five bamboo/microfiber liners to try. It was a couple weeks wait (sewing time mostly) and they showed up in the mail. They fit wonderfully on both my girls. Kaeda was even able to use the pads I'd sewed for her gDiapers with the GLD covers.

Kaeda, just 3, and Bowynn 2 months. 
Kaeda potty trained shortly after this photo and Bo didn't use hers for another couple months until we had gone through our disposables.

I'm still working on my diaper stash but this is what I have so far: 
- Costco bought microfiber cloths (I haven't found any as big or as trim folding as the GLD soakers)
- undyed bamboo/microfiber GLD soakers (they are now using a bamboo/cotton mix)
- fleece liners for the stay-dry feeling 
- GLD small wet bag with pocket for extra soakers 
- solid and patterned print covers 

A bit about the diapers:
The covers have a breathable, waterproof, ultrex interior and a cotton exterior. The velcro is good, heavy duty stuff that holds up amazingly to daily use and the washing machine/dryer and allows for the best fit. The cord-locking legs are one of the initial things I liked about the diapers - they don't stretch out like elastic and allow a better fit for more different sized babies. the Covers have high backs that can stay up for extra coverage or fold down. One of the best (and more addictive) things about the covers is the wide variety of ever changing prints they come in! 

A bit about the soakers:
GLD soakers are now made of 70% bamboo and 30% cotton. They are a single piece of fabric that folds into 3 and then in half making six layers of absorbent, soft cloth for your baby's bum! The great thing about GLD covers is that they work with many different soakers/liners. However, I like their system (folded inserts) best because it washes and dries way faster than a pad type soaker. 

Getting the fit right:
Getting the perfect fit takes practice. As your baby grows and changes so too does the fit. The easiest way to get a nice fit is to adjust the cord-lock legs every time. Personally, I don't do this unless the fit is just not working for me. Until I got the hang of it I had a few leaks and left a couple red marks on Bowynn. It didn't take me long to figure it out but it is something to be aware of before you buy. Also, it's important to note, there are videos to help with this and I've experienced that GLD is always glad to tackle these problems with you.

Washing:
I love that during a diaper change all I have to do is throw the soaker in our dry-pail and put a new one in the diaper! If it's been a couple changes or there was a poo I switch covers. I rinse out the messy diapers and throw them in the pail too. I primarily hand wash my covers and hang them in the bathroom to dry (they're always dry by the next morning). However, the covers machine wash and dry wonderfully! 


Bowynn, now 5 months, uses these diapers all day and for outings. We still use disposables at night but plan 
to phase those out (plus I hear talk of a night time diaper by GLD!). She has never messed through her GLD like she has her disposables. Bowynn also has sensitive skin and has been doing much better now that we are using these. She is a chubby, active baby and these diapers work for her.

One more thing I would like to add - one of my diapers had a sewing error, the stitching was coming undone - I emailed GLD and the were amazing! They were friendly, helpful and prompt in their response. They replaced my cover with no fuss or hassle.  

A diaper change in pictures:

This diaper held a messy surprise for mommy.

The new cover, GLD soaker and a fleece liner ready to go.
note: the back of the cover is already folded down.

Soaker adjusted and against the skin. 

The cover pulled up snug and tabs closed, cord-lock not in place yet.

The finished product!

Kaeda wondering why I'm taking so many pictures of Bowynn's "stinky" bum!

All done up again! I would say these diapers fit like a slightly wet disposable diaper (in terms of trimness in clothing)



She looks like such a chunky monkey here!


I have been very happy with these diapers (obviously!) and so I'm happy to share them with anyone interested (and some who aren't) in cloth diapering. I really admire Natasha, the young mom who created GLD, for her dedication, creativity and involvement with her customers and fans. GLD has come a long way in the short time I've been following them. I look forward to adding to my stash and seeing what other things they come up with!

You can find Green Line Diaper at these places:

3 comments:

  1. This is so wonderful. Thank you for sharing the love <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sooooooooooo excited to try my GLD when my little girl comes in a couple of weeks!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so great that you have posted your thoughts on this diaper, and are supporting this small business. I think mention needs to be made that Kyle (Tasha's partner) is also strongly involved in the business and the sewing. Together they are creating a wonderful product that makes sense in all ways.

    ReplyDelete