Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Importance of Mom Friends

It's been 3.5 years since I had my daughter... and I officially have 2 mom friends. Three if you could the one that lives in another province that I've never met... If there's one thing I stress to new moms it's: put yourself out there and make and effort to make mom friends!!!! No one will understand you quite the same as another mom. And it does get lonely. I wish I could have gone back and told myself that before. 

Today I went and met two more moms in my area. It's such a funny feeling - like dating - trying to find moms the same age, with kids the same age, who are compatible with you. My stomach was all funny and nervous. It's so silly but I guess that's what happens when you get into the routine of being a stay-at-home-mom. 

We met at Crumsby's Cupcake Cafe. I had no idea the place existed before... but it was awesome! A whole wall dedicated to toys to amuse the kiddies, kids menu, amazing coffee and a tempting menu I'll have to try out. It was a lot of fun and kids had a great time. It was lovely chatting with moms who had babies and older kids and then walking down to willow beach. I think it would be great if we could make a mommy group out of it. 

Perhaps its because I'm more comfortable in my position as "mom" or perhaps these moms just had more in common with me - but I've definitely had more of a connection with the moms I've met in Victoria than the ones I met in Richmond. It's funny how people complain about Facebook and all the terrible invasion of privacy/addiction/alienation that goes on with it - when thanks to it and the Young & New Moms group - I've made friends :)

1 comment: