Sunday, March 27, 2011

Book Reviews

I've really wanted to do some proper reviews of my latest reads. I'm usually the kind of person who reads her favorite books over and over. Since we got a library card however, I've been just taking out whatever caught my eye - mostly Young Adult Fantasy as it's always been my dream to write in that category. Anyway, here are my reviews, oldest to most recent:

Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris
*****
Latest in the Sookie Stackhouse series, these books haven't gotten annoying or predictable yet like some series I've read. They are easy to pick up, not too hard to put down and are just really enjoyable. They're not the deepest books or anything but they have romance, mystery, adventure and a good sense of humor. They are of course, the books True Blood is based on (OMG MY FAVORITE!!!).

Immortal Beloved by Cate Tiernan
*****
This was a quick grab because the kids were losing it in the library - and I LOVED it. It's based on an interesting idea that immortals are just regular people that live regular lives they just don't die (unless killed). Though, after 400 years of struggles and loss, what are you living for? With a funny, clever main character and the mystery of her past being revealed in little tidbits the only thing that annoyed me about this book was that it's book one in a series and still in hardcover!!! NOooOOOOoo! I will definitely be getting the rest of this series when it comes out.

Rebel Angels by Libba Bray
***
Ages ago I read the first of this series. It takes place in at a finishing school for young ladies and involves magick and mystery. This one was slow to start but I couldn't put it down at the end. It was enjoyable and interesting most of the time. I'll be getting the last book in this trilogy when I can.

Planet Pregnancy by Linda Oatman High
*
I'm not sure if it was the format, the character or the fact that both annoyed me so much I only really skimmed the book. It's in a poem like form, told from first person in streaming consciousness. What else is there to say? The girl was annoying, I didn't feel a connection with her (despite being in the similar situation of telling my mom about an unexpected pregnancy) and I felt it left a lot unanswered.

Girl in the Arena by Lise Haines
****
This one I started out disliking, I hate it when authors use something other than quotations for regular conversation - it's just so unnecessary. But the more I read, the more I liked Lyn the protagonist. The book managed to be realistic and interesting while bringing up issues that parallel in reality. It made you think but didn't end on a horrible note or anything (that always makes me sad).


*
I read the first two in this series after watching the first season of the tv show adaption. It's not very often that a show or movie is that much better than the books. Wow, Elena the main character, is SOOOOO annoying. They changed a lot in the show that made it better. The writing is simple and often terrible, using the same words or just the bad arrangements of them. Interestedly? Really? I mean on a blog or casual way maybe I could ignore it... but a popular, edited book? 
Anyway, stick with the show, don't bother with these books. I doubt I'm even going to finish this one before I return it.

No comments:

Post a Comment